Sunday, October 24, 2010

How I missed you, San Diego - July 16-18, 2010

Justin got tired of hearing me complain about the cold, rainy weather here in Oregon, so he finally decided it was time to take me back to sunny Southern California. The down side - it finally warmed up in Oregon, and we're leaving. Haha so ironic. But, the last thing I was going to do was complain. So we headed out. I had arranged to stay with Sterling and Renee Johnson in Carlsbad. He was my Bishop in the single's ward there and the two of them became like second parents to me. It was so great to see them and visit with them. They were so generous to let us stay with them.

We stopped off at the temple on our way up to Carlsbad and went through a session for old time sakes. I worked in the temple for a few months before I moved up to Oregon and they were some of the most spiritual experiences of my life. It was great to be back and remember some of the wonderful experiences I had. Justin and I have had a few special moments of our own there as well.

Later that day we met up with Stewart and Rachel Heaton and Melissa Hoy. Rachel was my old roommate and Melissa was my best friend in California and one of my councilors in the Relief Society Presidency when I was there. They had both just had babies two months prior so I got to see them for the first time. We all went to lunch out on Ruby's on the pier in Oceanside. It was delicious as always! (Note: obviously this picture isn't from our meeting them for lunch since it's dark, but I wanted to give an idea of what the pier scene is like.)

That Friday night, we headed down to San Diego to catch a Padres game. I have always loved Petco Park. It's right in the middle of the city, and actually has old buildings incorporated into the Park walls. The greatest part about it, was the free tickets we got. We were standing in the ticket line and a man walked up to us asking if there were only two of us that needed tickets. When we confirmed that, he handed us a couple of tickets and told us he worked for a local TV station and wasn't going to be able to use them that night. They were season tickets right behind home plate..perfect!!! We had such a great time...for free!

Saturday, we spent the day at Sea World. I hadn't been for a couple of years and Justin hadn't been since he was in San Diego back in High School.

We planned out the day so we could see all the main shows and be able to walk around to see the tanks and other animals too. We caught the day shows and the night shows. It's so amazing how they train those animals. We loved the dolphin show and the Shamu shows of course. Luckily none of the trainers got hurt while we were there. :)

We stopped at the arctic exhibit to see the polar bears and the walruses. We got a very close encounter with the walrus. We thought maybe he could see his reflection in the window and thought it was another walrus because he kept ramming his head into the glass and getting all agitated. Or maybe it's because we are all a lot scarier looking that we think. Either way, it was a little intimidating seeing him so close and aggressive with only the glass separating us. We got some cool pics of him with my phone though.

Sea World was everything we hoped it would be! We had a great time and the weather was perfect!

We got to visit one of the Carlsbad wards on Sunday to catch up with a few more old friends. After visiting with the Johnsons for a while after church, we headed to the airport. It was a great trip and we had so much fun seeing old friends and enjoying the beautiful weather. Of course we enjoyed our awesome rental car as always...a bright blue Chevy Aveo with a two missing hubcaps. Pretty amazing!!! I'm just sad I missed getting a picture of that one. It was a gem.


  1. No mustard yellow rental? What a disappointment :)

  2. Hey Natalie, it's Michaela. What is your mailing address? My email is